Monday, August 10, 2009

Day 1

These WOD's include warm ups. I was definitely tired from them. Blake did Squats and Presses with me today. Tomorrow will be MetCon and Power Cleans.

Squat:
2x5 45lbs
1x5 95lbs
1x3 135lbs
1x2 185lbs
3x5 225lbs

Press:
2x5 45lbs
1x5 75lbs
1x3 95lbs
1x2 105lbs
3x5 115lbs

The first set of 225 was sloppy and heavy. I felt much much stronger on sets 2 and 3. It definitely felt heavier than I thought it would. Press felt pretty good, but rep 5 on all 3 sets went up pretty slow and shaky.

So, tomorrow I need to think of some kind of metcon that won't interfere with Deadlifts and Bench press on Thursday. I'm thinking some rowing/muscle up exercise.

This diagram shows different positions to hold the bar. The first is a front squat, which is a very valuable strength exercise and great CF exercise. The middle one is one that we don't do and the last one, the low bar back squat, is by far the most powerful of the three. The low bar squat is what we went over at the Cert and is definitely the exercise used to get big and strong.


5 comments:

  1. i thought squats were on thursdays too....

    ReplyDelete
  2. alex question - why don't you do back squats? or why are they bad? also, are you making up your own wods now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely do back squats. That is what I did on this WOD. The one that CF endorses is called a low bar back squat. It is the 3rd squat in that picture.

    Back squat is the number 1 exercise to build power, speed, and strength.

    I am following a CF strength program where I do two dedicated strength days a week and 2 short metcons with some strength as well. The rest days are gymnastics/skills days.

    I am also trying to get between 5000 to 7000 calories a day for 8 weeks to gain some serious strength and size.

    ReplyDelete