Thursday, April 16, 2009

Back at home (well not really home)

I'm back in Redmond and I guess for now I am calling it home.  Either way it was nice to go to a gym and push around some weight.  I woke up this morning pretty late because I couldn't sleep last night and I got online and checked the main site CrossFit.  They posted a new 'Hero' WOD and it is the 2nd this week.  The first one was for an Air Force Combat Controller (gnarly dudes that go through some unreal training) and today's tribute WOD was for one of the SWAT cops from Oakland.  

For those people that know me, know that I am all about military SOF (special operations forces) and now SWAT.  I love how Crossfit honors them and is a very patriotic community.  
God bless all those men that have died and that continue to serve.  I wish I could with all my heart.

This picture is of SDV-1 SEALs based out of Hawaii.  All of them died in Afghanistan except for one (third from the right Marcus Lutrell).  There are a couple of CF WOD's in honor of these incredible brav
e men.  RIP.  Michael Murphy, Medal of Honor recipient is located on the far right.  Here is a link to his MOH official citation.

The SWAT WOD, named 'Danny', was: 20 min AMRAP (as many rounds as possible) 30 box jumps, 20 pp 115 lbs, 30 pull ups.  I took out the pull ups and put in deadlifts because the pull up bar at Golds is waaaaay too far away to make it an effective WOD.  Also, people steal your stuff if you leave it to go do something else and that bugs the crap out of me. 

MetCon: Danny

 3 1/2 rounds in 20 min. 

I thought I would've done better...I guess that means I need to do a little more conditioning.  

Strength WOD today: Deadlifts

225x10, 255x6, 275x4, 295x2, 305x1 (PR!), 315x1(PR!!!).  

My old PR in SLC was 285.  Last week I put up 295 and today 305 went up with relative ease and 315 went up pretty good, so I was extremely happy with a 20 lb increase.

This picture is of SOC Jason Freiwald, DevGru.  He died in Afghanistan on September 11, 2008 with another SEAL John Marcum.  Marcum was hit and with complete disregard for his own life, Jason exposed himself to enemy fire and pulled Marcum to a safer position.  Both died later from injuries sustained in battle.  Crossfit has WODs for both of them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment